For those of you who have been hearing the term “tap driver” and wondering what it means, here’s a quick run-down of what you need to know.
What is a Tap Driver?
- In most cases, a tap driver is a piece of software that connects your wired or wireless network interface card (NIC) to a computer or router.
- When you plug your computer’s Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi connection into a port on your router, the router automatically recognizes the cable as being connected to a device and then forwards any traffic to the computer. But for this to happen, your computer has to have a “tap driver” installed. Without one of these installed, your network settings will not be changed when you plug in the cable and you’ll be unable to connect to the Internet via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
- Most routers come with a built-in firewall and virtual private network (VPN) client. Installing a tap driver on your computer allows you to use these features. For example, you can configure your router to only allow certain websites to be accessed via VPN, and to automatically disconnect from the network when you log off from a remote computer.
- Although many companies make routers and firewall appliances, not all of them are created equal. When choosing a router, make sure that it has a tap driver built in and that the software is up-to-date.
Why Do I Need a Tap Driver?
- When you initially set up network communications via cable or wireless network interface cards (NICs), the setup process involves you entering a “tap” into a configuration screen on your router. This is referred to as “tapping” into the cable or network interface of the computer or device that you are configuring. Many routers have a field for entering a “tap,” but in most cases you have to click on a link in a drop-down menu or enter a code via a keypad to get the desired settings.
- This tapping adds additional security by ensuring that your network settings are only changed when authorized. For instance, you might want your router to automatically connect to a VPN when you click on the “Connect” button, but only if the settings are changed manually. This prevents your network from being accidentally connected to a network that isn’t secured with a VPN.
- Not all routers are created equal. Some routers are more proprietary than others, and many don’t feature as many resources as the better-known brands. If you have a specific reason for wanting to purchase a certain brand or model of router, make sure that it has the features that you need before buying it.
- Tap drivers also make connecting several devices to the network easier. For example, if you have several computers or devices that you need to connect to the network to be able to use the Internet, it is cumbersome to have to manually configure each one. Installing a tap driver on each device allows them to connect to the network “out of the box” and use the Internet without having to manually adjust many network settings.
- Last but not least, tapping into a device physically connects your computer to the network. This helps strengthen the security of your network and grants you full access to the resources on the network. In most cases, this also means that any device connected to the network is authorized to access the contents of your hard drive (provided that you’re using a laptop or desktop computer). If you don’t want anyone to access your hard drive except for specified individuals, you can create a hidden directory on your computer’s hard drive and install the VundoCrypt Tap driver.
Where Do I Install My Tap Driver?
Most commonly, tap drivers are installed into a device’s “trusted zone.” This is a special folder on your hard drive reserved for trusted devices only. Once installed, files within this folder are hidden from view and cannot be accessed by other devices (or users) on your network. In most cases, this is the C: drive of your computer (if your computer has one). You will also find a “trusted” folder on the root of your external hard drive.
Do I Need to Uninstall My Tap Driver?
As a general rule, you should always try to keep your computer or device running as clean as possible. Uninstalling unnecessary software and plugging unused hardware is a good idea, as this may improve the overall performance of your machine.
If you are unsure whether or not to uninstall your tap driver after using it for a while, you can always reboot your device and find out whether or not the software has been deleted from memory. You can also look to see whether or not there are any remnant files that were created when you installed the program. If everything looks in order, there is no reason to uninstall the software.
What Is NordVPN?
NordVPN is one of the better-known VPN providers, having gained a large amount of popularity in the VPN space due to its extremely versatile software that can be used on a variety of devices. But did you know that NordVPN also has a dedicated website that offers a wealth of information about the company and its products?
NordVPN is a Virtual Private Network service that provides users with a safe and secure way to unblock content and access websites that are restricted by country or region. Using a VPN to secure your network is very effective, but using it to gain access to content that is not readily available in your area is often frustrating. In most cases, you have to manually configure your VPN client to change your IP address to a location that has the desired content, which can be a tedious process.
With NordVPN, accessing blocked websites and content is as easy as clicking on a button. Just install the app on your computer or mobile device, log in, and click on the “NordVPN button.” You will then be presented with a list of available servers located throughout the world. If you choose a US server, for example, you will be able to access all of the content that is restricted to users in the United States.
NordVPN also has a feature where you can create an account with a single click, which is somewhat unique among VPN providers. Once you have created an account, you can use the website to quickly and easily find a list of US servers that are nearby your current location.
The great thing about NordVPN is that it doesn’t require you to have a specific reason to use it. You can install the app on any computer or mobile device that you have and use it to securely access any content that you want.