Being able to connect to a VPN automatically is quite convenient. You can set your desired location, network, and protocol preferences, and let the app do the rest. There is also the option to connect to a PPVPN which offers more flexibility. For more information, check out our full review of the Proton VPN below.
The Proton VPN offers an easy-to-use web-based portal that provides all the necessary information about the service, along with connecting and setting up instructions (if needed). The portal also offers live chat support if you have any questions about connecting to the VPN or using the service.
The app itself is pretty straightforward and intuitive. You will need to enter the necessary settings for your device and network, as well as confirm your payment information. After that, you will be presented with a PIN number that you need to enter on your phone to complete the signup process.
Once you have signed up, you will need to download the app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. In order to use the service, you will have to connect the device to which you have installed the app to your WiFi network. Once connected, you will see the VPN icon in the status bar.
You can then click on it to automatically connect to the nearest VPN server. While this is usually enough to get you online (if you are not behind a corporate firewall or government firewall), you can also choose which type of VPN you would like to use (PPTP, L2TP, or SSTP) from a drop-down menu.
To make sure that your device is always protected when you use Proton VPN, you can enable the Auto-Secure option from the app’s settings. This will cause the VPN connection to be terminated whenever your device is connected to the internet.
To verify that the VPN is working correctly, you can generate and download a config file from the app’s settings page (or from the Google Play Store). This config file will contain the necessary information about your device and the VPN, including a security key that you can use with your login details (if needed). You should keep this file in a safe place, as it will contain your personal information (e.g., username, email, etc.).
Proton VPN automatically generates a new SSL security key each time you connect to the service, which ensures that your login details are not compromised. The app also supports two-factor authentication with Google or Facebook accounts, which adds an extra layer of security. The 2FA option is only available when you create an account, and is optional, so it is not necessarily secure (but it does add an extra layer of protection).
The Proton VPN app also includes several security options that you can enable from the app’s settings page. These are:
- Log all network requests – Enabling this will log all the websites that you visit, as well as the IP addresses that you use to connect to them. This option is very useful for debugging purposes, or if you want to monitor your own network activity. However, keep in mind that this information is logged and stored on the server, which means that it is available to anyone who has access to this database. So while this option is very convenient, make sure that you trust the people you are sharing this information with.
- Use a VPN to encrypt all my outgoing traffic – As the name implies, this option will cause all your internet traffic (both incoming and outgoing) to be automatically encrypted when sent out over a network.
- Use a VPN to keep my IP private – If you are sharing a public WiFi network, or if you are connecting to a public network at a coffee shop or restaurant, enabling this option will keep anyone from seeing your IP address (which is typically provided by your internet service provider).
- Use a VPN to allow me to access my favourite websites – If you want to access certain websites that are blocked in your country (either because they are illegal or simply because your government has banned them), enabling this option will help you do that, as long as you are in a country that is allowed to access content of that nature. (Note that this option is only available if you set your country of residence to Canada or the United States in the app’s settings section)
- Use a VPN to keep my personal info secure – If you enabled the Log all network requests option as mentioned above, you can keep your personal information (e.g., credit card numbers, etc.) secure by using Proton VPN. The information will be sent encrypted to the server, where it will be stored while you are connected, and will be accessible only to you when you are logged in.
- Use a VPN to keep my personal info private – Enabling this option will cause your personal information (e.g., credit card numbers, etc.) to be sent encrypted to the server, where it will be stored while you are connected, and will be accessible only to you when you are logged in.
The Proton VPN service is quite economical. Its pricing plans start at just $2.95 per month, with no strings attached (and you can’t beat that!). If you need a VPN for your workplace, you can get a 1-year package for only $47.45. Just remember that these prices assume you are in the U.S.A., as all the pricing is in dollars.
In summary, Proton VPN is a great choice for people who are looking for an affordable and reliable VPN solution. While it is not the most modern or feature-rich solution out there, it still provides decent (and often excellent) privacy and security for very little money. If you are looking for a solution that does more, such as allowing you to connect to PPVPNs or use OpenVPN with its own secure server, Proton VPN is not the best choice since these features come with a price (typically paid in addition to the monthly subscription fee). Nonetheless, if you are looking for a cost-effective solution that still provides good speed and security, Proton VPN is a perfect choice.