Free and open source software (FOSS) is one of the biggest game changers currently in play, and it’s made its way into the workplace. More and more businesses are realizing the benefits of using FOSS to streamline daily operations, enhance productivity, and ensure the security and privacy of their employees and customers.
One of the biggest benefits to deploying FOSS is the degree to which it enhances your mobility. You can install and run applications on a variety of operating systems, such as Windows, and take your pick from an almost limitless number of software choices. This flexibility makes it much easier to stay productive, wherever you may happen to be. For example, if you’re traveling for work, you can use your laptop to connect to a VPN and gain secure access to your company’s intranet resources. Similarly, if you’re outside of the office but still need to access your company’s VPN, you can use your phone or another device to connect to WiFi and gain remote access to the internet through a VPN client. This feature alone makes using a VPN worthwhile.
Secure And Private Connections With A VPN
A VPN creates a secure and private connection between your device and a remote network, such as the internet. When you connect to a VPN through a web browser on a desktop or laptop computer, you’re connecting to a remote network. Any data you transmit over the internet while connected to a VPN is encrypted and protected, so hackers and snoopers can’t eavesdrop on your communications. Furthermore, connecting to a VPN prevents your IP address from being recorded when you conduct online transactions, ensuring that your identity remains secure.
VPNs are great tools for preventing online security threats, ensuring privacy, and preventing data loss. They also provide additional features that can boost your productivity, such as caching web content for faster surfing and the ability to connect via multiple devices.
To get started, simply visit www.1login.com/ and enter your email address. When the website asks you to enter a password, enter the code 1u3tkcrfv, which is the abbreviation for One Login™ Vault. This will open a virtual vault, and you’ll be presented with a login page for the 1Login service. Click the link to continue and enter your 1Login account information. From here, you can easily create a free account, which is highly recommended as it gives you the ability to use all of the features that 1Login has to offer without any restrictions. Once you’re logged in, click the gear button in the upper right corner of the screen to open the 1Login menu. Here you can view your settings, change your password, and add more than one device for extra security. You can also click the gear again to open the 1Login mobile app where you can do the same things.
Set Up Your VPN On A Laptop Or Desktop Computer
If you have a desktop or laptop computer, you can easily set up a VPN connection through its operating system (OS). Just follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Control Panel and click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on the + symbol to create a new sharing group.
- Type in the name of your group, such as ‘Work,’ and then click on the Share Icon to make it visible to everyone in the group. You can click on the gear icon to open the Network and Sharing Center menu, where you can manage your sharing groups and connect to a VPN. Once you’re connected, you can access your company’s resources, including emails, web applications, and more.
- Go back to the Control Panel and click on Network and Sharing Center. This time, right-click on the connection you’ve just made and choose Properties. You’ll see a new window with information about your VPN connection.
- Click on the Settings button to open the Settings dialog box.
- Now, you can configure the VPN settings for your needs. You can choose a location for the VPN server (referred to as a ‘point of presence’ or ‘POP’), enter a username and password for the VPN server, and then confirm your selection. You’ll need to ensure that your laptop or desktop is connected to the internet via a wired connection before you continue. Once everything is configured correctly, click the Save button to save your changes and close the Properties window.
From here, you can use the VPN to gain access to your company’s resources, ensuring that your personal data is always secure and private. Happy surfing!