If you’re reading this, I assume you’re either a developer, tech support, or both. Perhaps you’re wondering, “How can I tell if my VPN is working?” The answer is very easy; all you need is the right tool.
In this article, you’re going to discover the best free tools that check and confirm VPN performance. These tools are going to be your best friends in determining whether or not your VPN is up and running as fast as it can be. So let’s get to it.
OpenVPN is one of the most popular and most-used open-source VPNs around. It’s been around for a very long time and has been downloaded over a million times. This software is absolutely free, open-source, and available for almost any device or operating system. Let’s take a closer look at what makes this VPN so special.
- It’s free. (You should generally expect free software to have at least some form of limit or time restriction. That being said, you should understand that OpenVPN operates on a “freemium” model. This simply means that there is absolutely no price for the software itself. Your connection will be limited to 2GB per month. However, you will have to purchase a premium service to access the network’s full potential. That being said, this is a completely free service that allows you to access the network’s potential. So in this case, you’re getting your money’s worth!);
- It’s open source. (Like the name would suggest, OpenVPN is an open-source project. This simply means that the code is available for anyone to study or improve upon. The project’s GitHub repository contains all the source code for OpenVPN and it functions on all modern operating systems and devices. Most importantly, it also supports Windows XP and up. So if you have a computer or device that is running on one of these operating systems, you can use this software without fear of compatibility issues. This is important because a VPN that does not function on one or more of these operating systems is not really “100% free” as you would have supposed. So, in short, if you want to use this VPN, make sure that your device is compatible or you download and run the program on a virtual machine. This way, you’ll be sure that everything will work as you expect. The fact that it’s open source also means that you have the ability to verify the project’s code. This is extremely useful in case there are any discrepancies in the way your VPN acts compared to what you or someone else expects. This type of openness and transparency is extremely rare nowadays. So, in this case, you’re getting more than you bargained for!);
- It has a highly configurable VPN connection manager. (This is one of the most important features of OpenVPN. In fact, it’s the feature that makes it so special. The connection manager allows you to easily connect to different VPN servers around the world and change the settings to match your needs. This way, you can always ensure that you’re connecting to the VPN server that’s closest to your location. Alternatively, you can also select a server based on the one that is offering the best performance for your specific network activity. This feature makes connecting to a VPN very easy and highly enjoyable. It also ensures that your personal information is not exposed to third parties, which is paramount in today’s world. In addition, you can use the connection manager to automatically connect to a VPN after you log into your computer. This way, whenever you log into your computer, you’ll be automatically connected to the VPN and can continue your work without having to worry about connecting manually each time you use the program. This is why OpenVPN is often referred to as a “one-click solution” for connecting to a VPN. This kind of convenience makes connecting to a VPN extremely attractive for users. This is also why this VPN has been downloaded so many times. It’s incredibly simple to use and has a very nice user interface. In this case, you’re getting more than you bargained for!);
- It has open source certificates. (For those of you who are security-conscious individuals, open-source certificates are important. This simply means that everything about the certificate is available for review by anyone who wants to check it. This is a good thing because it means that you can verify that the person who signed the certificate is actually the person who certified that they owned the certificate. This is important because it prevents any potential hacking attempts. In addition, you can use open-source certificates to create your own trusted VPN by adding other certificates. This is very useful in case there is some kind of issue with the original certificate or it expires. Then, you can replace it with a new one easily. In this case, you’re getting more than you bargained for!);
- It supports connecting to remote servers. (Finally, let’s not forget about one of the most important features of any VPN. This is the fact that it supports connecting to remote servers. In case you are not familiar, a VPN server is a computer or device that is responsible for connecting users to the VPN. This server will process all the login requests and ensure that the users are authenticated before they are given access to the network. Naturally, there are some restrictions when it comes to connecting to a remote server. For example, you will have to meet the server’s minimum requirements. In addition, you have to have an open connection to the server. This simply means that you should not have any firewall software installed on your computer or mobile device. Otherwise, you could end up being blocked by the server. This is why most VPNs recommend that you install a tool like OpenVPN on a device that is connected to the internet via a dynamic IP address. This type of IP address makes it much easier for the server to connect to and access your computer or mobile device. In this case, you’re getting more than you bargained for!);
- Last but not least, let’s not forget about the fact that OpenVPN is entirely free. This is important because it means that you have absolutely no restrictions when it comes to using the software. In particular, there are no limits on the amount of data or time that you can use the tool for. This is a very attractive feature for users who are curious about trying out a VPN and do not want to be bound by artificial limits. This is why OpenVPN is one of the most popular and most-used free VPNs around. This software is extremely versatile and has a lot to offer.
In case you’re curious, here are the official website’s and main GitHub repository’s of OpenVPN:
Nord VPN is another popular and one of the most reputable VPNs around. This company was actually founded in Denmark and started operations in 2007. Since then, it has expanded to nearly 30 countries and is available to download and use on Android, Mac, Windows, and Linux devices. Let’s take a closer look at what makes this VPN so special.